In anticipation of the golden crunchy goodness that her final show will bring, I thought that as an appetizer, I would offer up a serving of the Oprah's worst TV moments. Given that this entire season has been one grand victory lap of self-congratulatory fried-in-bacon-grease-excess, I think that we should take a moment to reflect on ten rubber chickens from the last 25 years:
- In the beginning, the Oprah show used commercial breaks to effectively build and/or diffuse drama as necessary. But in the last few years, there were more commercials than actual show. That Favorite Things show is essentially one step removed from being an hour long informercial on QVC.
- B*&%$-slapping James Frey on her show after it was revealed that he had fabricated parts of his memoir. Not that he was the only poor sap to face the wrath of the Mighty O--Kim Wayans had to pay penance on the couch too for lampooning Oprah in a classic, but hilarious In Living Color sketch.
- That whack "reunion" with Whoopi Goldberg. Who do they think they are fooling; they still can't stand each other!
- Giving shows to the most annoying people on the planet--Roseanne Barr, Dr. Phil, Racheal Ray, and of course, Gayle King (for the third doggone time).
- Pretending that no one would notice that she never married Stedman, and then only letting him out of the dungeon for very special occasions.
- Not telling Michael Jackson that he needed help, thus failing to perform her civic duty in preventing his eventual decline...or was it all part of her plan to take over the world? Hmm...
- "You get a car, you get a car!"--the exact moment when the Almighty Oprah Show jumped the shark.
- Kissing up to the whackest of whack job celebrities--Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Jamie Foxx, Tyler Perry, Jennifer Aniston, Richard Gere, Halle Berry, Madonna, Sarah Palin...need I continue?
- And finally, wheeling a wagon of fat onto the set of her show to symbolize the 67 pounds she lost, only to regain it all once she started eating again in a few months.
Post a Comment